| || |
A UNIQUE MODEL FOR INTERNATIONAL EDUCATION
FUA-AUF’s mission aims to offer a unique educational model for international students. Through this model, FUA-AUF allows students to integrate, benefit, and learn from their academic experience by applying knowledge and competence simultaneously. Knowledge and competence are taught at the same time through educational strategies and several teaching methodologies that are based on the experience, integration, and engagement with the local community. A relevant example can be found in our community page.
The model is formally copyrighted in Italy and guides the institution's academic and student life operations through two fundamental pillars - the below institutional mission statement that informs all elements of the model, and assessment practices that review and evaluate model outcomes for evidence-based improvement.
FUA-AUF VISION, MISSION, AND VALUES
MISSION: Enriching Students through Cultural Integration, Community Engagement, and Experiential Learning
FUA-AUF was founded to:
- Promote and renew creative disciplines in a city renowned for its history-changing innovations.
- Offer challenging academic programs that shape inquisitive minds capable of:
- Approaching academic disciplines with the mindset to deeply understand the principles of the past and how they are present in today’s context.
- Transforming learning, knowledge and cultural experiences into instruments that shape tomorrow’s future.
- Contributing to the local culture with the findings, research, and creations developed over the course of study.
- Provide excellent professional and academic facilities at each campus, which not only offer learning spaces but also enhance and inspire learning potential.
- Go beyond classroom learning by promoting student interaction with the convergence of the multicultural societies and creative presences in the city of Florence. This is accomplished through the presence of Palazzi Community Engagement Member Institutions (CEMI) whose facilities and services are open to the public.
VISION: American-style, community-oriented education in Florence that transcends disciplines and cultural traditions
- FUA-AUF is a multidisciplinary institution that seeks to offer dynamic possibilities of study through a rich selection of academic institutions and departments.
- FUA-AUFunites communities, nationalities, compelling projects, and studies capable of shaping the cultural landscape of Florence.
- FUA-AUFencourages students to be challenged by both classroom and service learning for civic engagement, and to challenge the weight of Florence’s glorious heritage in order to contribute to its future with a fresh mind and open eyes.
- FUA-AUFstrives to provide its students with an experience that goes beyond the Renaissance façade of Florence by communicating to them that who we are and what they experience go beyond cultural stereotypes.
- FUA-AUF believes that each student should go back home with a clear concept of Florence and Italy that includes a profound cultural understanding gained from integration. What they receive from the experience is a life changed and newfound understanding and perspectives that they will carry in their hearts for the rest of their lives.
- A rich, stimulating course offering taught by an international faculty, spanning all areas of the institutions grouped under FUA-AUF and their specific departments and courses.
- An academic structure based on lectures, workshops, seminars, and laboratories that promote student learning and creation.
- Quality, state of the art facilities located in historic palaces throughout the Florence city center.
- Opportunities for student exposure and interaction with the local culture through civic engagement and service learning on both academic and extracurricular levels and cultural integration projects including the on-going involvement available through Palazzi CEMI.
INSTITUTIONAL ORGANIZATION AND INSTRUCTIONAL STYLE
Given the range of academic study, FUA-AUF is organized since its inception along the lines of a US-style higher education institution with instruction in the English language, processes, and structure comprised of multiple colleges or schools of study as typically implemented in the United States.