FUA-AUF’s Associate of Arts Degree in Food, Wine, and Wellness Studies offers motivated students the possibility to join the food and wine industry through a program that emphasizes wellness and nutrition studies. Four program concentrations are available:
- Culinary Arts – Chef de Partie (WACS)
- Baking & Pastry – Chef de Partie
- Wine Studies and Enology - Junior Sommelier (WACS)
- Wellness, Health, and Nutrition
The Food, Wine, and Wellness Studies program is designed to provide students with a complete educational experience in the field of gastronomy and wellness.
- Students will gain a solid knowledge of food, wine, and wellness topics from international and Italian perspectives.
- Coursework will broaden students’ knowledge of Italian gastronomy and nutrition, offering a rigorous focus on techniques, direct experience, and understanding of the Mediterranean identity of the curriculum.
The specialization in Culinary Arts – Chef de Partie (WACS) focuses on developing students’ familiarity with:
- Italian culinary heritage and evolution
- Ingredient application to Italian and international cuisines
- Classic/contemporary/modernist cooking techniques
- Nutritionally balanced and gourmet menu composition
- Kitchen organization/service in a professional à la carte environment
The specialization in Baking & Pastry – Chef de Partie focuses on:
- Application of pastry ingredients and techniques
- Italian cultural context and classical pastry creations
- Italian specialty bread/pizza production
- Production/decoration/storage of desserts
- Contemporary ingredient application
- Professional pastry lab environment
The specialization in Wine Studies and Enology - Junior Sommelier (WACS) focuses on students’ understanding and appreciation of:
- Wine cultural heritage and winemaking
- Major wine regions and grape varieties
- Principles of modern viticulture and enology
- Professional wine appreciation/analysis/sensorial evaluation
- Food and wine pairing
- Communication and marketing skills
- Current markets and consumption
The specialization in Wellness, Health, and Nutrition focuses on developing:
- Nutrition and wellness, balancing diets/lifestyles for athletes and non-athletes
- Planning nutritional menus and physical activity programs for diverse demographics
- Comparative analysis of dietary regimens
- Scientific methods for nutritional calculation in professional menus
- Personal training programs
- Culinary Arts – Chef De Partie (WACS): Commis chef in high-end restaurants and hotels, demi-chef de partie, recipe developer for international companies, representative/agent for specialty food distributions, kitchen and nutrition consultant, food stylist, private chef.
- Baking & Pastry – Chef De Partie: Pastry commis chef in high-end restaurants and hotels, demi-chef de partie in catering companies and commercial bakeries, pastry shop manager, recipe developer for small-medium pastry chains, pastry consultant, personal chef.
- Wine Studies and Enology - Junior Sommelier: Wine expert, restaurant/wine bar/ wine store buyer and director, wine marketer, brand manager, vineyard and cellar assistant.
- Wellness, Health, and Nutrition: Support assistant/specialist for nutritionists, personal trainers, rehabilitation and massage therapists, yoga instructors; multidisciplinary manager or coordinator in fitness and wellness centers; wellness consultant for the hospitality industry.