Live Fall 2020 campus updates
FUA-AUF is pleased to welcome returning and new students on campus for the 2020-21 academic year. While 2020 has been an incredibly challenging year worldwide, we believe in the resilient power of education, and the transformative potential of education in international contexts. This page is dedicated to informing our academic community of fall reopening operations and preparation that students, faculty, and staff should be aware of prior to the commencement of the academic year. The information will be updated on a live basis according to EU and Italian regulations as they are released in response to the Covid-19 pandemic.
The FUA-AUF campus network fully reopened in September and sessions have resumed according to the standard academic calendar.
Covid-19 Pandemic Protocol
The institution has developed a pandemic protocol that will be applied as required by the local/national authorities. The protocol provides:
- Guidance on safety and prevention measures that can be activated for campus facilities, student housing, and academic activities on and off-campus.
- Multidimensional contingency plans that may be implemented according to various case scenarios.
- Specifics related to sanitation practices as required by the local authorities.
FUA-AUF will be able to offer 80% of its coursework in external learning spaces outside of traditional classrooms and/or in laboratories where student capacity can be limited and closely monitored.
International Student Entry in the EU
The EU recently released guidelines for European entry as of July 1st, 2020 and the list of third countries approved for EU entry is subject to an update every 2 weeks. International students regardless of their third country’s EU status are considered as exceptions to travel restrictions and may enter the EU if enrolled in an academic program (unless coming from or having transited in travel ban countries, see below). For current students entering Italy, the below information is important to keep in mind.
The below points are in compliance with current Italian interpretations and further specifications to the EU policy.
- Oct 7 update: The latest Italian legislation as of Sept 7, 2020, updated on Oct 7 and valid until Oct 15, 2020, defines the below categories of countries for entry to Italy. Specific details for each category can be consulted here in English.
- Group A - Special autonomous territories in Italy.
- Group B - Regulations for EU/Schengen/UK.
- Group C - EU countries for which self-isolation upon arrival in Italy is required.
- Group D - Third countries whose citizens may travel in Europe for any reason and are required to self-isolate upon arrival.
- Group E - Rest of the world, travel only allowed for approved exceptions (including study).
- Group F - Countries with a ban on entry.
- Visa regulations have not been modified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. For students who will need a visa for the duration of their program in Italy, please consult your local Italian consulate’s requirements and appointment booking procedures. The new intensive semester session this fall has a duration of less than 90 days for students from countries that have a reciprocal Visa Waiver status with Italy.
- Students traveling from countries that require quarantine upon arrival must with the following documentation for arrival in Italy:
Incoming students will receive from Student Life and Development updated pre-departure notices regarding entry requirements and advisories, document checklists, and all items related to preparation for arrival, orientation, and housing check-in in Florence.
Airport Arrival in Florence
Students should plan on flight itineraries arriving in Florence at the Peretola airport as the final destination. Direct or connecting flights are both acceptable. As per current travel and self-isolation advisories for non-EU citizens and residents, it is not possible to arrive at an airport in a different city and take public transport to the final destination.
Non-EU citizens and residents will be registered upon arrival. Please see the above "International Student Entry in the EU" section for necessary documents.
Optional Airport Testing: The Italian public healthcare system has authorized the Florence Peretola airport to offer testing and government-sanctioned quarantine lodgings to individuals upon arrival. Please note that this option is for those who have not secured quarantine lodging in advance, which is not the case for students who have confirmed FUA-AUF or independent housing for both the quarantine and the duration of study. Please note that the hotel facilities are assigned upon arrival and locations are not released in advance; this option is not necessary for FUA-AUF students who have already secured and arranged for the quarantine and study period housing.
Please note that it is possible to request a voluntary fee-based test during the term of study in Florence.
Current Fall 2020 Campus Hours
Please see our campus map and facilities page for up-to-date information on our building hours.
Student Services and Library
- Students may schedule an in-person or virtual appointment with SLD staff.
- Library visits in Corso Tintori 21 can be requested.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for any questions.
Reopening health and safety protocol
In compliance with governmental and regional regulations, we would like to inform our students, faculty, and staff that the campus facility locations of Fedora and the Library have been sanitized according to the provisions of the ISS (Italian National Institute of Health) Covid-19 report, n. 20/2020.