Live updates of Fall campus reopening
FUA-AUF is pleased to welcome returning and new students on campus for the 2019-20 academic year. While 2020 has been an incredibly challenging year worldwide, we believe in the resilient power of education, and the transformative potential of education in international contexts. This page is dedicated to informing our academic community of fall reopening operations and preparation that students, faculty, and staff should be aware of prior to the commencement of the academic year. The information will be updated on a live basis according to EU and Italian regulations as they are released in response to the Covid-19 pandemic.
The FUA-AUF campus network will fully reopen in September and sessions will resume according to the standard academic calendar.
Covid-19 Pandemic Protocol
The institution has developed a pandemic protocol that will be applied as required by the local/national authorities. The protocol provides:
- Guidance on safety and prevention measures that can be activated for campus facilities, student housing, and academic activities on and off-campus.
- Multidimensional contingency plans that may be implemented according to various case scenarios.
- Specifics related to sanitation practices as required by the local authorities.
FUA-AUF will be able to offer 80% of its coursework in external learning spaces outside of traditional classrooms and/or in laboratories where student capacity can be limited and closely monitored.
International Student Entry in the EU
The EU recently released guidelines for European entry as of July 1st, 2020 and the list of third countries approved for EU entry is subject to an update every 2 weeks. International students regardless of their third country’s EU status are considered as exceptions to travel restrictions and may enter the EU if enrolled in an academic program. For students due to arrive for the Fall 2020 semester, the current status for the following items are important to keep in mind:
- Visa regulations have not been modified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. For students who will need a visa for the duration of their program in Italy, please consult your local Italian consulate’s requirements and appointment booking procedures. The new intensive semester session this fall has a duration of less than 90 days for students from countries that have a reciprocal Visa Waiver status with Italy.
- Students must travel with the following documentation for arrival in Italy:
- Enrollment letter
- Housing letter
- Self-Certification form required by the Italian government (downloadable here in English). Please note:
- For Question 5 "the undersigned fulfils one of the following conditions or requirements (specify which):" please indicate "L) none of the above."
- For Question 6 please indicate "H) he/she is travelling for essential work, study, urgent or health reasons or to return home (please specify your essential reasons for travelling, in a clear and verifiable manner)" and in the space provided list your program of enrollment and that it is verifying via the enrollment letter.
- For Question 7 insert your housing address in Florence.
- For Question 8 indicate "taxi." If you have arranged for an airport pickup indicate "private minivan."
- For Question 9 indicate the FUA-AUF landline and your cell phone number.
- Quarantine requirements: 2-week self-isolation is currently necessary for any non-EU entries in Italy.
The above points are in compliance with current Italian interpretations and further specifications to the EU policy. An overview can be consulted here.
Incoming Fall 2020 students will receive from Student Life and Development updated pre-departure notices regarding entry requirements and advisories, document checklists, and all items related to preparation for arrival, orientation, and housing check-in in Florence.
Airport Arrival in Florence
Students should plan on flight itineraries arriving in Florence at the Peretola airport as the final destination. Direct or connecting flights are both acceptable. As per current travel and self-isolation advisories for non-EU citizens and residents, it is not possible to arrive at an airport in a different city and take public transport to the final destination.
Non-EU citizens and residents will be registered upon arrival. Please see the above "International Student Entry in the EU" section for necessary documents.
Optional Airport Testing: The Italian public healthcare system has authorized the Florence Peretola airport to offer testing and government-sanctioned quarantine lodgings to individuals upon arrival. Please note that this option is for those who have not secured quarantine lodging in advance, which is not the case for students who have confirmed FUA-AUF or independent housing for both the quarantine and the duration of study. Please note that the hotel facilities are assigned upon arrival and locations are not released in advance; this option is not necessary for FUA-AUF students who have already secured and arranged for the quarantine and study period housing.
Please note that it is possible to request a voluntary fee-based test during the term of study in Florence.
Current Summer 2020 Campus Services
Ganzo School Restaurant and Apicius CEMI in Via de’ Macci has already reopened with academic lab activities and experiential learning hours for students and faculty. Opening hours for the FUA-AUF and local Florentine communities are from 12-3pm and 6-10pm Monday through Saturday.
The Palazzo dell’Ospitalità campus building in Via Ricasoli 21will reopen on Monday July 13, 2020.
- Academic and student spaces of Apicius International School of Hospitality
- Fedora Pastry Shop and Apicius CEMI
Campus hours for the above student services in Via Ricasoli 21:
Student Services and Library
- Students may schedule an in-person appointment with SLD staff.
- Library visits in Corso Tintori 21 can be requested.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for scheduling. Requests can be made with 48 hours of advance notice.
Reopening health and safety protocol
In compliance with governmental and regional regulations, we would like to inform our students, faculty, and staff that the campus facility locations of Fedora and the Library have been sanitized according to the provisions of the ISS (Italian National Institute of Health) Covid-19 report, n. 20/2020.