A specialized semester in horticulture studies is open to students seeking coursework including an internship experience in Florence, Italy. The program is a collaboration between Farmingdale State College and Florence University of the Arts, and features 15-week fall or spring semesters and a 12-week summer semester. Coursework includes the study of sustainable green environments in Italy, the history of Italian gardens, design practices in nature, the culture of grapes and wine production, and a required internship for a full, professionalizing immersion in Italian horticulture.
- Florence is the birthplace of the Renaissance garden and the home to contemporary community garden projects.
- Exposure to diverse landscapes such as aesthetically functional gardens and production-focused vineyards.
- Engaging field learning experiences integrated to coursework.
- Opportunity to apply learned topics through the internship.
15 credits total
- Grow Green and Learn Italian
- Gardens of Love: Green Paradises in Italy from the Renaissance to Our Age
- Design by Nature I
- Table and Wine Grapes of Italy: An Educational Wine Tour I (Fall) or Viticulture and Enology: An Educational Wine Tour II (Spring)
Duration and Dates
15 weeks in the Fall or Spring Semesters
12 weeks in the Summer Semester
Spring Semester 2017
Wednesday Jan 25 - Students arrive
Thursday Jan 26 - Orientation
Friday Jan 27 - Orientation
Monday Jan 30 - Classes start
Monday Mar 13 to Friday Mar 17 - Midterm Exam Week
Monday Mar 20 to Friday Mar 24 - Spring Break
Monday Mar 27 - Classes resume
Monday May 8 to Wednesday May 10 - Final Exam Week
Wednesday May 10 - Classes end
Thursday May 11 - Housing check-out (by 10AM)
12-Week Summer Semester 2017
Two 6-Week Sessions (A and B)* - classes are held Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday
Four 3-Week Sessions (I, II, III, and IV)* – classes held Monday through Thursday
*Sessions available will vary with Horticulture course offerings.
Sunday May 14 - Students arrive
Monday May 15 - Orientation/Final Registration
Tuesday May 16 - Classes start
Thursday Aug 3 - Classes end
Friday Aug 4 - Housing check-out (by 10AM)
Enrollment, Tuition, and Further Info
For enrollment and tuition deadlines and details, please contact Florencehorticulture@farmingdale.edu.